Thursday, June 3, 2010

Time




I have been slacking lately on this thing, and it's time for me to start to catch up. It's not that I haven't had things to write about, it's just that I haven't made the time, which is what this is sort of about. Time...it's truly our greatest commodity in this life. We have only so much of it, and so many things to do. All of us are allotted 7 days per week with 24 full hours in each one. I know that some folks think they get shorted, but we do all get the same amount, but it's how we choose to spend that time that gets hairy. It's really like a paycheck...so much goes to rent, another chunk to a car payment, utilities, TAXES, etc. At the end we have a small amount left to have fun with....just like our time. It gets split between work, house work, and a teensy bit left for fun and family. We all walked oursleves in to the situation we're in. Some are rewarded monetarily for their long hours, extensive travel and sacrifice of personal time that they forgo to give to a workplace. Others(stay at home Moms/Dads) are rewarded minimally in the fiscal area but spend their days at home tending to children watching them grow and depending on another for their monetary needs. So many of us have dual income families and try to make the most out of the time we have with our spouses and children, soaking up every minute of pleasure time like human sponges or perhaps more correctly like camels taking in every drop of relief in order to dole it out at a later date of need. It has been this balance of life/work that has caused me to exclaim several times recently(much to my wife's chagrin) "I wouldn't want to work any more than I already do"! That being said, I work 40hrs. plus 1 night a week for a total of maybe 45 hours a week. I feel like I hardly get to spend any time with my Wife and son and wonder how these super-execs or more realistically the 2 or 3 job workin' schmoes get any time with their families whatsoever? Anyhow, my motto has always been that I work to live not the other way around. When I was a kid my Dad always made me actually listen to the Cat's in the cradle when it came on the radio, and being the sap that I am it really meant something, and still does. If by some chance you're a parent and have never listened to the song, make a point of it.








No comments: